International Karate Organization WORLD SOKYOKUSHIN
Official Kyu and Dan Grading Syllabus
Our Kyokushin Karate curriculum follows the syllabus taught by Founder of Kyokushinkaikan Sosai Masutatsu Oyama who developed a systematic and realistic fighting syllabus grounded in Budo philosophy and his front line students: Saiko-Shihan Kazuyuki Hasegawa(8th Dan), Shihan Daigo Oishi(8th Dan).
The syllabus provides a learning road map for all students of all grades. Promotions or gradings are held four times a year at which point students who qualify are given the opportunity to attempt a grading.
Qualification to grade is based on the following:
Time spent on each level (typically a minimum of 3-6 months from 10th to 6th Kyu, 6 months 6th to 1st Kyu)
Achieving a minimum 85% attendance from the previous grading (a minimum of 95% attendance is required from 4th Kyu – green belt and above)
Competence in all aspects of the syllabus for the level required.
Kyu and Dan syllabus includes the following:
- Written Examination
- Kihon (Basic Strikes, Kicks and Thrusts, Brown Belt applicants must be able to instruct class in these areas)
- Ido Geiko (moving techniques)
- Sanbon Kumite (three step fighting drills)
- Ippon Kumite (one step fighting drills)
- Goshin Jitsu (self defence)
- Kata (all Kyokushin Kata as per Honbu Japan Instruction).
- Kata Bunkai(application)
- Tamashiwari (Board braking)
- Kumite (proficiency in fighting for the level required – some Tournament experience required)
ALL grading registrations and payments must be taken care of ONE FULL WEEK before the grading.